Monday, March 4, 2013

Avant-Garde

  Lately I've been thinking a lot about art. What exactly is art? I've found that everybody likes some form of art, even if they don't notice. One of the main forms of art all of us know is visual art, such as paintings, drawings, or sculptures. When we think "art museum," these pieces immediately come to mind. Music is also an art form, and from my experience, I've never heard anyone say "I don't like music." Therefore, all of us have something in common, which is the common interest in experimental sound known as music.
  Being an avid arts fan myself, I'd have to say my two main focuses are in fact visuals and music. As much as I like interpretive experimental art (like much of Yoko Ono's works, read my post on her protests and art with John Lennon here), I don't tend to focus on it as heavily as I do with drawings and music.
  A few of my favorite visual artists include Andy Warhol, Klaus Voormann, and Stuart Sutcliffe (who my popular music teacher oddly looks like). As most of you know, my favorite musicians would have to be The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, and The Runaways.
  There are, however, quite a few musicians in the experimental world that I like as well. Experimental music is music made not to impress others and result in a profit, but rather to, well, experiment with sound and emotion in order to create a truly unique piece. Unfortunately today, there are few experimental musicians left. But back in the day, mainly the late 60's and early 70's, experimentalists like Frank Zappa, the GTO's, (if you wanna learn about the GTO's, click here for my post on them) and The Velvet Underground. Back in his early days, Andy Warhol was considered an avant-garde artist, before he rose to fame. Even though he is a household name in modern times, in the mid-1960's, he was known for his almost risky and experimental works of art.

Klaus Voormann in 1966 holding one of his most famous works of art, the cover to the Beatles' 1966 album, Revolver (Source unknown)
Chess Set
Designed for Ringo Starr in 1972
Klaus designed this chess set for Ringo Starr, using all different types of hands for the various figures.  There are only five of these original sets in existence.  They were cast in sterling silver with one side gold plated.  Notice the rings on the bishop, king, and queen.
(Source)
Klaus donated the car to the Biodiversity Project: Ancient Trees and Endangered Beetles. This project is a collaboration between Christina and Klaus Voormann, Volkswagen AG, State Ministry for Environment, Public Health and Consumer Protection and Center of Environment/Wiesenfelden Castle. The car will be auctioned or sold to the best offer.
More than 8,000 people visited the 6-day event. Plans are being made to continue this successful exhibition in other countries.

(Source for all Klaus Voormann car images)
Plastic Ono Band, 1969, Toronto Music Festival,
L-R: Klaus Voormann, Alan White, Yoko Ono, John Lennon, Eric Clapton
Hamburg Series #13 by Stuart Sutcliffe
Mixed media, collage with ink and oil on buff paper
24/26 x 34 in. image / 32 x 40 in. overall mounted
Circa 1961-62; (Source)
Stuart Sutcliffe c. 1960-61, Source Unknown

When I visited the Liverpool Museum of Art this October I was fortunate enough to see an actual work of art by Stuart Sutcliffe in person.

My new Fender Squier Strat, hopefully I can make my own avant-garde music!

If you're interested in seeing more of Klaus Voormann's works, click here
If you're interested in seeing more of Stuart Sutcliffe's works, click here


  1. "Sunday Morning" by The Velvet Underground
  2. "Muffin Man" by Frank Zappa
  3. "The Captain's Fat Theresa Shoes" by The GTO's
  4. "Technicolour Dreams" by Status Quo
  5. "Beck's Bolero" by Jeff Beck (and friends)
  6. "I'm in Love With the Ooo-Ooo Man" by The GTO's
  7. "Give Peace a Chance" by The Plastic Ono Band
  8. "Heroin" by The Velvet Underground
  9. "The Nitty Gritty" by Manfred Mann (ft. Klaus Voormann)
  10. "Jamiroquai" by Canned Heat

No comments:

Post a Comment