Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Nightmare Motel

So for those of you who don't know, I'm not much of a TV show watcher. I like BBC Sherlock (although I've seen every episode so that kinda sucks, no new material) and Daria (which has been off the air for practically a decade), and that means I'm not one of those people who has a series they catch up on every week or so.
  That all changed when I first saw Bates Motel, a new series (only six hour-long episodes so far, so if you wanna check it out, it's not THAT much work to sit through every episode) based off of Alfred Hitchcock's 1960 movie Psycho. In Psycho, there's a crazy man named Norman Bates who lives at the Bates Motel, owned by him and his mom. SPOILERS BEWARE. Eventually you realize Norman's mother is not really alive, but Norman thinks she is, and is instead living her out through his own multiple personality disorder. It's crazy, and I love every second of it.
  In Bates Motel, it shows you what life was like for Norman growing up- his psychotic mother, Norma, his school friends and brother Dylan (all of whom were not in the original film), as well as crazy alternative plots that make the series fresh and now.
  The original Psycho takes place in 1960, while Bates Motel takes place in modern times. You'd think someone like me, who hates most things post-1990 would despise this alternative take, but I actually think it adds to the show. It allows Norman as well as the other characters to text each other, do more modern hobbies, and have friends that I guess are 'more relatable to teens today.' Either way, I think it adds a nice, unique twist to an already classic story.
  That being said, Bates Motel is completely different from Psycho- the only thing similar are Norman, his mother Norma, and the fact that they own a hotel. Whether you like Psycho or not, you should definitely check out this series. If you have comcast, all six episodes so far are available for free On Demand. The series itself appears every Monday at 10 PM on A&E (which means it can swear and be sexual, yay!) and are DEFINITELY worth checking out!
  WARNING! This post shows me in all my acne-filled glory! So enjoy the benefits of not wearing coverup but yet still getting greasy pimples because yay, being a teenager!

The original 1960 Psycho movie poster.
Lame attempts at a creepy killer face.
A sweater I bought for >$3 that reminds me of Norman for some reason. 
Screenshotting while fastforwarding because I'm cool.
I caught this in between scenes, thought it looked scary.
Starin' at my soul!
Thought my guitar looked scary over there lurkin' in the corner, decided to take a pic.
Pulling the innocent, scared look.

SCARY FACE!

OKAY HAVE A HAPPY DAY SORRY I DIDN'T POST ALL BREAK!



2 comments:

  1. yes! this show is so fantastic <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Freddie Highmore and Max Theirot?!! Perfect <3
    I'm gonna start watching right away

    ReplyDelete